[Regia-NA] Re: Celt was Fashions/Kim

Kathy list-regia-na@lig.net
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 15:20:38 -0800 (PST)

--0-1561937938-1068852038=:17762

Well it would seem we are both right..  you for the origin of the name Kelt.. and me for the origin of their homeland.. smile.. I found this link.. have fun

http://artzia.com/History/Celt/

Kathy

J K Siddorn <kim.siddorn@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
Erm - Celt devolves from the Greek "Keltoi", meaning "trouser wearer", a
term of slighting contempt for the barbarians that lived to the north.

The term is a modern patois for an broad group of cultures spanning both
thousands of years and thousands of miles and was certainly never used by
any of them to describe themselves. To do so makes as much sense as a Welsh
(derived from the Englisc word for "Foreigner") person referring to
themselves in that way in a historical context . Cymru - meaning "the folk"
is, I believe, far more accurate.

That should do it ..................

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

--0-1561937938-1068852038=:17762

<DIV>Well it would seem we are both right..&nbsp; you for the origin of the name Kelt.. and me for the origin of their homeland.. smile.. I found this link.. have fun</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><A href="http://artzia.com/History/Celt/">http://artzia.com/History/Celt/</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Kathy<BR><BR><B><I>J K Siddorn &lt;kim.siddorn@blueyonder.co.uk&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">Erm - Celt devolves from the Greek "Keltoi", meaning "trouser wearer", a<BR>term of slighting contempt for the barbarians that lived to the north.<BR><BR>The term is a modern patois for an broad group of cultures spanning both<BR>thousands of years and thousands of miles and was certainly never used by<BR>any of them to describe themselves. To do so makes as much sense as a Welsh<BR>(derived from the Englisc word for "Foreigner") person referring to<BR>themselves in that way in a historical context . Cymru - meaning "the folk"<BR>is, I believe, far more accurate.<BR><BR>That should do it ..................<BR><BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>Kim Siddorn<BR><BR><BR>_______________________________________________<BR>list-regia-na mailing list<BR>list-regia-na@lig.net<BR>http://www.lig.net/mailman/listinfo/list-regia-na</BLOCKQUOTE><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
--0-1561937938-1068852038=:17762--