[Regia-NA] vara/Hroff

Kathy list-regia-na@lig.net
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 14:57:33 -0800 (PST)

--0-711958640-1068764253=:56788

LOL  oh this is way to much fun..  actually my persona, Catriona, is from the Western Isles off the coast of scotland.. and she met Bjorn there..  the  rest is  history as they say..  in fact.. Bren.. my partner, really is of Norse heritage, although she has never been to the home country.. but when she was choosing an SCA persona  . she chose the name Bjorn Kjeldson without any hesitation..

Hrolf Douglasson <Hrolf@btinternet.com> wrote:Hi Kathy, Hrolf here. Just to throw a slight spanner into the works...

Surviving evidence seems to suggest that people back then didn't bother much trying to pronounce unfamiliar names; sagas and annals are full of references to people that only become clear when cross- referenced to other sources, and the actual "ethnic" version of the name appears. Bjorn is unlikely to have been overly familiar with Catriona as a name, and may well have bastardised it into something like Katja, kat, etc. It never hurts to be prepared for these events ahead of time... and also adds to the fun, I find.

Regards,

Hrolf the overly-named

--0-711958640-1068764253=:56788

<DIV>LOL&nbsp; oh this is way to much fun..&nbsp; actually my persona, Catriona, is from the Western Isles off the coast of scotland.. and she met Bjorn there..&nbsp; the&nbsp; rest is&nbsp; history as they say..&nbsp; in fact.. Bren.. my partner, really is of Norse heritage, although she has never been to the home country.. but when she was choosing an SCA persona&nbsp; . she chose the name Bjorn Kjeldson without any hesitation..&nbsp; <BR><BR><B><I>Hrolf Douglasson &lt;Hrolf@btinternet.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hi Kathy, Hrolf here. Just to throw a slight spanner into the works...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Surviving evidence seems to suggest that people back then didn't bother much trying to pronounce unfamiliar names; sagas and annals are full of references to people that only become clear when cross- referenced to other sources, and the actual "ethnic" version of the name appears. Bjorn is unlikely to have been overly familiar with Catriona as a name, and may well have bastardised it into something like Katja, kat, etc. It never hurts to be prepared for these events ahead of time... and also adds to the fun, I find.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Regards,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hrolf the overly-named</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
--0-711958640-1068764253=:56788--