[Regia-NA] Ruggs (shaggy cloaks)

Tracie Brown list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 10:21:47 -0500

Edwina -- Did the lady who wove the shaggy cloak tie those
fleece tufts in after weaving it or while weaving it?  I did
a similar project but I latch-hooked the tufts into already
woven fabric.  I haven't done in-depth research on the
subject (indeed, some of the relevant archaeology hadn't been
done yet), but I gather that the effect could have been
achieved using a weaving technique similar to velvet weaving,
but with much longer nap.

Hazel -- I have some flokati rugs that I use on my (later
than Regia-period) bed.  Will these work for Regia, either as
bed rugs or made into cloaks?

-- Tracie