[Regia-NA] bone working

J Hill list-regia-na@lig.net
Sat, 31 May 2003 00:05:24 -0700

Ian, You're a dear & have come thru once again. <G>
Send us good tho'ts in the morning for our first meeting.
I hope it goes well... if we can find 3 people, I'll be thrilled.  That
would give us the minimum of 5 for our Household + a spare. :>)
A question:  In the heat of the summer, do you wear a woolen tunic?
Also, does a lady wear a white chemise, along w/ the undertunic, overtunic,
mantle, wimple, etc?  OR, is the coloured linen undertunic taking the place
of a chemise?  I will be ordering linen in another week or two.

Additionally, does anyone have a copy of the book re: Dress in Anglo-Saxon
Britain, or whatever the title is, which you'd be willing to part with?  I'd
gladly pay for the book, but it cannot be had anywhere I've looked.  I've
tried the standard search engines & ABEBOOKS & ADDALL book search, too.
I wonder if David Brown might have it.  Will look.  But, if anyone has any
books relevant to our period & Anglo-Saxon, we would be most interested in
purchasing them for our wee group.

Meanwhile, I'm totally exhausted tonite... continuing the battle against the
clothes moths ... tho't they'd been eradicated, but saw one flying about
tonite.  Not a good sign.  esp as I've brought most of my fleeces back into
the house.
I plan to wash all of them soonest... & a rinse in eucalyptus water to
confuse the miserable insects.  I've never had anything like this... it must
be the late, wet Spring.
I have 14 boxes up, so far, & probably 10 more 30 gal plastic sacks full on
the deck.  I've roasted the larvae in the sun to kill them, but now really
need to get those fleeces out of the heat & neatly stacked.  I wish I had
some sort of outside storage, but that isn't feasible at the moment.
I've decided that, once these get washed, spun & woven or knitted up, I
shall not have a fleece stash again.  I'll get the fleeces off my couple of
sheep & maybe one or two others, but never anything like this.  [I tend to
be the recipient of "free" fleeces which I use for my spinning classes at
the college.  Add those to my own sheep & the fleeces I've purchased & you
begin to see the problem!]

A warp-weighted loom question:  What sort of standard lumber sizes have you
used in the construction of your loom?  Also, how did you make your weaving
sword & are you using a weighted fork like one uses in tapestry?  For indoor
use, what do you use for "feet"?
I'm very interested in trying dukagang on it.  However, I cannot find my
Mary Black book anywhere... I really must go thru those bookcases that are
double & triple shelved.  LOL
Are you using a tablet woven top border w/ the TW weft becoming the WW warp?
I've been dying to try this. <G>  Plus, this is a great way to have a second
loom without my DH having conniptions. <G>

Hoping to unwind & go to sleep........  Jennifer