[Regia-NA] woodworking

Wulfhere se Treowryhta list-regia-na@lig.net
Fri, 23 May 2003 10:03:47 -0400

I have made one of the horses. I've been using it for about 3 years now
to make handles, spoons, framing pegs, wedges, etc. About the rest of
it, yes, a little guidence is nice as long as you realize that carving
is the process of making lots of bad pieces before you accomplish
mediocraty. If you stick with that and your joints a blessed, you may
become good. You have to learn to feel the wood through the blade,
understand the limitations of the tool and that only comes from time.
When you get it, it's like magic, because you can explain it till your
blue in the face and it's just not that easy. It's like the local
Archery marshall says. "Draw the arrow, aim at the center of the target,
let the arrow go, do it that way every time." It really is that simple,
you just need to let your body come to that knowledge through repetition.