* [Regia-NA] kit

rmhowe list-regia-na@lig.net
Wed, 21 May 2003 19:12:29 -0400

> nathan wrote:
> > What sort of chests?
>
> Basically rectangular boxy things with (slightly) sloping sides.  The
> mastemyr chest being the main example we use as a template (and
> extrapolate from there).  IIRC this link
> http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikchest.html#top
> covers the whole thing quite well.

The Mastermyr Find - A Viking Age Toolchest from Gotland book is
obtainable for $18 plus postage from:
Norm Larson Books,
5426 E. Hwy 246, Lompoc, CA 93436.
Fax 805-735-8367, Ph 800-743-4766
Postage is $2 for first book
plus $.50 for each additional book to a maximum of $5.00
larbooks@impulse.net

I pestered him into doing a reprint - 2000 so there's probably some
left. Has a cauldron, a folding fish grill, metalworking, woodworking,
and possibly some jewelry tools in it. It took me four years to get
an original copy. I have both.

> > Needles? [assuming bone, of course]
>
> And copper and iron, depends what you want them for.  Copper ones are
> often a little larger that iron, bone ones larger still.  Copper/iron
> for sewing, bone for naalbinding (usually).  Coppergate (york)
> produced dozens of both types, copper was more common iirc.

I've made hundreds of needles for sewing out of bone, and have hundreds
of blanks, drilled and not drilled (actually done with a knife).
They are actually quite tough and were made in a variety of sizes.
I used Turkey Leg Bone and splines, roughly equatable to peacock bone.
They are a bit like yew. The outer layer is fibrous, the inner hard.
They go through multiple layers of all but really tight linen and
the holes close up. Mistress Thora has some I gave her. Others here
have proved quite popular, and I have taught it in class. Have seen
one complete dress sewn with one of them. [Aenor has two varieties
- those made from bone and those made from muscle splines. Both work.
The bone is a bit harder and keeps a better point. the splines
are more flexible. Peacocks have similar splines in their legs.]
http://www.angevintreasures.com/   Probably not on the website.

As I have chronic myofascial pain syndrome, and this activity made it
much worse in my upper back my wife isn't letting me near bone
presently.
Trying to work the knots out of me with acupressure makes her sore.
They were sold by Master Finnr before he died and Mistress Aenor
[aenor@ipass.net] still sells them. Regia reprinted an article of mine
on making them a year or so ago. I recently invested in another
[reversible, throws the dust AWAY] Foredom rotary machine and when
I get dust removal installed may make bone items again at some point.
It took more than six months for the referred pains into the chest
and abdomen to stop after I did.

All the previous ones were done entirely by hand as were the bone
spoons and animorphic dress pins (never put up for sale).

I have plenty of finish them yourselves blanks - needing only a
fingernail file and a bit of fine sandpaper for sharpening from
time to time. Most are about an 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" long and about
an eighth of an inch or so + in diameter when finished.
Self-addressed Stamped envelope and $1 each from me for unfinished
blanks - holed.

Magnus