[Regia-NA] intro

Douglas Sunlin list-regia-na@lig.net
Thu, 15 May 2003 13:07:24 -0700

<P>Right away then! Jennifer I want to welcome to our group. North-eastern Nevada! Geez, that is out in the boonies, even by US standards. You may be midway between me in the Bay Area, Dorian in Oregon, plus there in one or two in Colorado. If you can indeed gather woad (without pesticides) you may have a high-demand item (though I don't see myself driving out for a bag of woad). :)</P>
<P>The west coast rabble tradiitonally shows up at Old Fort MacArthur Days in LA around the 4th of July. See if you can make it.</P>
<P>At your service, </P>
<P>Douglas<BR><BR>On manręden, </P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Osweald of Baldurstrand
<DIV></DIV>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/California_Viking_Age
<DIV></DIV>http://www.geocities.com/baldurstrand/
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: "Martin Field" <MARFIELD66@SYMPATICO.CA>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Reply-To: list-regia-na@lig.net
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: <LIST-REGIA-NA@LIG.NET>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: Re: [Regia-NA] intro
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 01:11:53 -0400
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I should point out to the list that Jennifer is in the process of joining so please give her your support if and when.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Thanks
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Martin
<DIV></DIV>&gt; ----- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>&gt; From: J Hill
<DIV></DIV>&gt; To: Regia, NA
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2003 12:39 AM
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Subject: [Regia-NA] intro
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Hello. I am interested in the Anglo-Saxon period approx 8th/9th C. I know less than nothing &amp; would greatly appreciate any assistance.
<DIV></DIV>&gt; I believe it is easier to begin well than to have to go back &amp; do things over after discovering that one has everything wrong.
<DIV></DIV>&gt; The books available at the local library hale from the 30's. Suggestions?
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Also, I hope to do some dye projects this summer &amp; would like your thoughts on materials... I'm familiar w/ where to purchase natural dyestuffs like indigo, madder, etc, but am not sure of the safety precautions, nor exactly what would be available to the people in that period.
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Woad is a noxious weed here in northeastern Nevada &amp; is prohibited by law. [to grow, not to use] I believe they have a woad warrior thingie going on... pulling the plants &amp; leaving them on the ground. If I were to go on this eradication jaunt, would the plants be useful for dyeing?
<DIV></DIV>&gt; What is the difference between a Viking tent &amp; a geteld? [how is that pronounced, anyway? w/ a "g" or a "y" sound?]
<DIV></DIV>&gt; I recognized Carolyn Priest-Dornan's name [did I get it right?] from a couple of weaving lists &amp; from her excellent web site.
<DIV></DIV>&gt; I spin &amp; weave, but have hesitated to get involved in "natural" dyeing due to health concerns - I'm very chemically sensitive. However, I've tho't about giving it a go this summer, wearing suitable protective gear.
<DIV></DIV>&gt; As for clothing, camp gear, crafts [I want to learn naalbinding &amp; sprang &amp; WW weaving], I am open to suggestions &amp; eager to learn.
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Yrs, Jennifer