[Regia-NA] "Celtic" dragons?

Chris Knight list-regia-na@lig.net
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 18:26:13 -0700

      NOTE!!! I am using the term "Celt" for lack of a better word.

             From what I have read regarding the ledgends of "celtic"
dragons is that they were thought to be of animal intellgence so were not
thought to be evil but were concidered bad omens and neither did they fit
our modern ideas of what the typical Hollywood or fantasy rpg dragon is
depicted as. I do have a feeling most of what is left of the "Celtic" dragon
lore had been infused with Anglo-Saxon and scandanavian flavours.
    according to my sources the majority of mythical creatures of the
pre-roman peoples of the British isles were little more then ferocious and
bizzare versions of mundane animals such as (and I am not joking!) sheep but
with poison razor sharp teeth and a hunger for human flesh...I know it's not
nearly as romantic as magikal Druid Dragons but it sure seemed to scare the
trews off of those headhunting woad besmeared tibesmen :D
And your not alone in your irritation over people using flakey newage books
as historical documentation. I see it all the time, we just have to our part
to remind them that their D&D manuals and using a crystal ball to scry into
their past lives will not hold weight in the face of documented history :P
                                                      till next time.
                                                 Chris Knight