[Regia-NA] Re: list-regia-na digest, Response to Kim Sidon

Hrolf Douglasson list-regia-na@lig.net
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 22:49:30 -0000

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C2F18E.77335CA0

I thought that was what raw hide is this side of the world as well. =
whiteish stuff sold as dog chews
vara
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: PADRUIGTHEUNCLE@aol.com=20
  To: list-regia-na@lig.net=20
  Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2003 10:09 PM
  Subject: [Regia-NA] Re: list-regia-na digest, Response to Kim Sidon

  Once again, English is the language that divides us.  Here in the SE =
USA, rawhide is a cow (mostly) hide that has been scraped and dehaired =
but not tanned.  It is stiff as a board but can be shaped with water or =
hot oil.  It comes in a variety of weights (or thicknesses) depending on =
the animal; ox being thicker that cow which is about equal to horse.  =
Also the back is usually thicker than the sides or belly.  If it gets =
thoroughly soaked, it can be shaped into drumheads, sandle soles, shield =
rims and coverings, and can even be made into small coffers and (if wood =
is used to frame bottom and sides) can even be made into chests.  I have =
seen such a chest with a curved lid in which the front, back, and top =
were made from pieces of rawhide tacked to wooden bottom, sides, and top =
pieces.  The chest was not hinged but had thin pieces attached to the =
wooden portions of the lid that extended into the bottom of the chest.  =
The whole was covered with a thin coat of gesso, painted with egg =
tempera, and then sealed.  It weight less that half what an all wood =
chest would have       weighed.  The only disadvantage I noted was that =
the owner had to keep people from sitting on the lid.=20

  Pagan=20

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C2F18E.77335CA0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I thought that was what raw hide is =
this side of=20
the world as well. whiteish stuff sold as dog chews</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>vara</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3DPADRUIGTHEUNCLE@aol.com=20
  href=3D"mailto:PADRUIGTHEUNCLE@aol.com">PADRUIGTHEUNCLE@aol.com</A> =
</DIV>
title=3Dlist-regia-na@lig.net=20
  href=3D"mailto:list-regia-na@lig.net">list-regia-na@lig.net</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, March 23, 2003 =
10:09=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [Regia-NA] Re: =
list-regia-na=20
  digest, Response to Kim Sidon</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV><FONT face=3Darial,helvetica><FONT size=3D2>Once again, =
English is=20
  the language that divides us. &nbsp;Here in the SE USA, rawhide is a =
cow=20
  (mostly) hide that has been scraped and dehaired but not tanned. =
&nbsp;It is=20
  stiff as a board but can be shaped with water or hot oil. &nbsp;It =
comes in a=20
  variety of weights (or thicknesses) depending on the animal; ox being =
thicker=20
  that cow which is about equal to horse. &nbsp;Also the back is usually =
thicker=20
  than the sides or belly. &nbsp;If it gets thoroughly soaked, it can be =
shaped=20
  into drumheads, sandle soles, shield rims and coverings, and can even =
be made=20
  into small coffers and (if wood is used to frame bottom and sides) can =
even be=20
  made into chests. &nbsp;I have seen such a chest with a curved lid in =
which=20
  the front, back, and top were made from pieces of rawhide tacked to =
wooden=20
  bottom, sides, and top pieces. &nbsp;The chest was not hinged but had =
thin=20
  pieces attached to the wooden portions of the lid that extended into =
the=20
  bottom of the chest. &nbsp;The whole was covered with a thin coat of =
gesso,=20
  painted with egg tempera, and then sealed. &nbsp;It weight less that =
half what=20
  an all wood chest would have =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;weighed.=20
  &nbsp;The only disadvantage I noted was that the owner had to keep =
people from=20
  sitting on the lid. <BR><BR>Pagan =
</FONT></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C2F18E.77335CA0--