[Regia-NA] Re: list-regia-na digest, Response to Kim Sidon

list-regia-na@lig.net list-regia-na@lig.net
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 17:09:37 EST

--part1_d.cbcbbcd.2baf8aa1_boundary

Once again, English is the language that divides us.  Here in the SE USA,
rawhide is a cow (mostly) hide that has been scraped and dehaired but not
tanned.  It is stiff as a board but can be shaped with water or hot oil.  It
comes in a variety of weights (or thicknesses) depending on the animal; ox
being thicker that cow which is about equal to horse.  Also the back is
usually thicker than the sides or belly.  If it gets thoroughly soaked, it
can be shaped into drumheads, sandle soles, shield rims and coverings, and
can even be made into small coffers and (if wood is used to frame bottom and
sides) can even be made into chests.  I have seen such a chest with a curved
lid in which the front, back, and top were made from pieces of rawhide tacked
to wooden bottom, sides, and top pieces.  The chest was not hinged but had
thin pieces attached to the wooden portions of the lid that extended into the
bottom of the chest.  The whole was covered with a thin coat of gesso,
painted with egg tempera, and then sealed.  It weight less that half what an
all wood chest would have       weighed.  The only disadvantage I noted was
that the owner had to keep people from sitting on the lid.

Pagan

--part1_d.cbcbbcd.2baf8aa1_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3D2>Once again, English is th=
e language that divides us. &nbsp;Here in the SE USA, rawhide is a cow (most=
ly) hide that has been scraped and dehaired but not tanned. &nbsp;It is stif=
f as a board but can be shaped with water or hot oil. &nbsp;It comes in a va=
riety of weights (or thicknesses) depending on the animal; ox being thicker=20=
that cow which is about equal to horse. &nbsp;Also the back is usually thick=
er than the sides or belly. &nbsp;If it gets thoroughly soaked, it can be sh=
aped into drumheads, sandle soles, shield rims and coverings, and can even b=
e made into small coffers and (if wood is used to frame bottom and sides) ca=
n even be made into chests. &nbsp;I have seen such a chest with a curved lid=
 in which the front, back, and top were made from pieces of rawhide tacked t=
o wooden bottom, sides, and top pieces. &nbsp;The chest was not hinged but h=
ad thin pieces attached to the wooden portions of the lid that extended into=
 the bottom of the chest. &nbsp;The whole was covered with a thin coat of ge=
sso, painted with egg tempera, and then sealed. &nbsp;It weight less that ha=
lf what an all wood chest would have &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;wei=
ghed. &nbsp;The only disadvantage I noted was that the owner had to keep peo=
ple from sitting on the lid.
<BR>
<BR>Pagan </FONT></HTML>

--part1_d.cbcbbcd.2baf8aa1_boundary--