[Regia-NA] False: The four kings in a deck of playing cards represent Charlemagne, David, Caesar, and Alexander

Brett W. McCoy list-regia-na@lig.net
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 15:48:55 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Schuster, Robert L. wrote:

> --i was pretty sure the list of phrases thing was a hoax but i thought
> Ring Around the Rossies was a song about the Plague, is it not?

I had been taught this in high school also, but the jury is still out on
whether this is really true.  The biggest thing against is the fact that
there is no evidence that the rhyme actually existed at the time of the
Black Plague.

Here's a FAQ about it:

http://www.ualberta.ca/~imunro/ring.html

-- Brett
                                          http://www.chapelperilous.net/
A woman did what a woman had to, the best way she knew how.
To do more was impossible, to do less, unthinkable.
		-- Dirisha, "The Man Who Never Missed"