[Regia-NA] Mammen tunic (was Re: Textile Questions)

Carolyn Priest-Dorman list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 22:22:01 -0500

Hazel wrote:

>The Mammen tunic (970-971AD) would seem to have had a centre gusset - at
>least that is how it has been re-constructed in the National Museum in
>Copenhagen.

Not enough remains of the Mammen tunic to be able to make out any details
of how it was cut.  According to what Lise Bender Jorgensen told me when I
asked her, the overall look of the Canute tunic at the National Museum was
based on the illustration of King Canute from the Liber Vitae in the early
11th century.  She said they used the Bocksten and Thorsbjerg tunics to
derive the pattern pieces.  (Yes, I know....  Isn't it scary to think that
you have higher standards than a bunch of museum workers in a major
museum?)  Accordingly, I don't think we can draw any conclusions at all
about whether the museum folk there thought the Mammen tunic had gussets.

Carolyn Priest-Dorman              Þóra Sharptooth
  http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/thora.html