[Regia-NA] Crossbows

Tate William T Jr TSgt 352 OSS/SCSC list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 07:39:01 -0000

I had a chat with Chris about this on the way home from the Witan =
Saturday.

The rolling nut from Scotland cannot be accurately dated because, =
indeed,
the context it was found in isn't relative to anything else.  The bogs =
were
used for centuries for hunting water fowl, and it is known that the =
crossbow
was used in this capacity up to (if I remember correctly) the 16th =
century.
The nut itself was found loose and couldn't really be stratified.

We touched briefly on rolling nuts and that they may have been used in =
our
period, but I can't remember what sources he was using for this =
conclusion.

It appears to me that there are a few sources to document =
crossbows...enough
to allow one, or two, a show...but not legions of crossbow-wielding
Norsemen.

Bill

WILLIAM T. TATE, JR., TSgt, USAF
Security Manager