[Regia-NA] Crossbows

Carolyn Priest-Dorman list-regia-na@lig.net
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:23:38 -0500

This is (surprise!) a military topic that interest me.  I have a 60-lb
rolling nut crossbow and used to be pretty good with it.  Phil wrote:

>Alm states that crossbows were used at the sieges of Senlis in 947 and
>Verdun in 985, although his reference seems to be to another secondary source.

Payne-Gallwey put me onto the original source for this, which is Richer de
St. Remy's _Historia_ (tenth century).  The original is of course in Latin,
but a facing-page French edition is in the Vassar Library (ed. Robert
Latouche).  I translated the section about the siege of Senlis from the
Latin for the SCA periodical _Early Period_, but that was over a decade ago
and I can't find my stash of them right now.  When I do I'll repost.

Egon Harmuth's _Die Armbrust:  Ein Handbuch_ has a black and white Biblical
illustration of the siege (?=Belagerung) of Jerusalem (presumably the
Babylonian one?) from a French manuscript of the 10th century.  He also
shows an 8th or 9th century nut and handle from "English" finds.  Footnotes
say one is an 8th century nut from _Ancient Scottish Lake-Dwellings or
Crannogs_ by Robert Munro (Edinburgh, 1882) and the other is a 9th century
handle and nut from Southgrove Farm, Burbage, Wiltshire.

MacGregor more or less concurs on these dates.  He says the Scottish one
(from Buston Crannog, Strathclyde) could very well be that late, and that
in any case they're most likely to be post-Roman.  See the section on
crossbows in his _Bone Antler Ivory and Horn_ for more info.

I haven't seen anything about the rising pin mechanism in this period, though.

Carolyn Priest-Dorman              Þóra Sharptooth
  http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/thora.html