[Regia-NA] Axes

Phil list-regia-na@lig.net
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 20:39:50 -0000

------=_NextPart_000_00CC_01C2EA69.DC0E8540

I've just been having a quick look through David Nicole's 'Arms and =
Armour of the Crusading Era' and while I fully accept it doesn't contain =
every illustration/carving etc., it does have an awful lot.=20

Within that, other than the BT picture Steve has mentioned, the axes are =
shown in use - not carried - and seem to be shown in use on the Celtic =
fringe.

I certainly think anyone of sufficient standing in the non Celtic areas =
would not carry a hand axe - if they carry a side arm, it's a sword.

Re Chris' suggestion that you carry the axe in your shield hand - isn't =
that the hand you would also have used for your throwing spears?

Interestingly a quick flick through the relevant Men at Arms (and yes, I =
know they are not perfect) reveals axes being carried in the hand, not =
in a loop or through the belt.

Phil

------=_NextPart_000_00CC_01C2EA69.DC0E8540

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I've just been having a quick look =
through David=20
Nicole's 'Arms and Armour of the Crusading Era' and while I fully accept =
it=20
doesn't contain every illustration/carving etc., it does have an awful =
lot.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Within that, other than the BT picture =
Steve has=20
mentioned, the axes are&nbsp;shown in use - not carried -&nbsp;and seem =
to be=20
shown in use on the Celtic fringe.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I certainly think anyone of sufficient =
standing in=20
the non Celtic areas would not carry a hand axe - if they carry a side =
arm, it's=20
a sword.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Re Chris' suggestion that you carry the =
axe in your=20
shield hand - isn't that the hand you would also have used for your =
throwing=20
spears?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Interestingly a quick flick through the =
relevant=20
Men at Arms (and yes, I know they are not perfect) reveals axes being =
carried in=20
the hand, not in a loop or through the belt.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Phil</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00CC_01C2EA69.DC0E8540--