[Regia-NA] Re: [Regia] Axe loops (further thoughts)

Allan McVie list-regia-na@lig.net
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 10:05:26 +0000

At 09:55 14/03/2003 +0000, Kim wrote:
>Ah! Now you are really talking! Ban the short hafted hand axe as a field
>weapon? What provenance do we have for axes being used as primary or
>secondary weapons?
>
>Weapons, mind you, not in a domestic context.
>
>Regards,
>
>Kim Siddorn
Well in this thread already Steve mentioned the BT showing a hand axe in
the shield wall and Ian mentioned the stone carving from the Church in
Middleton near Pickering in Yorkshire showing along with the spear and
scram etc an axe which incontext is more likely to be an axe used as a weapon.

Allan