[Regia-NA] Re: [Regia] Re: Crossbows during the Viking period.

Mark Patchett list-regia-na@lig.net
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 10:45:38 -0500

Yolli wrote:

> Now the only bit that I can't find a source for is the rising pin method of releasing the bow string - it is 'primitive and operates, but it's one of those things that sometimes seem to appear in re-enactment without an explanation.

Hi Roland,

A while back, I saw an article on the web, on a  reconstruction of a rising pin style crossbow, entitled "the Skane Lockbow"...

http://homepages.tesco.net/~tinyclanger/albini/albini_equipment_crossbows_lockbow.htm
http://homepages.tesco.net/~tinyclanger/albini/albini_equipment_crossbows.htm

They claim this style of bow was used in northern europe between 900 and1600, "before the advent of more complicated lock mechanisms and composite prods in the 12th century. "

Here's the listed bibliography:
  Payne-Gallwey, Ralph; The Crossbow, Dover Press, 1995
  Wilson, G M (ed.) & Bartlett Wells, H (trans.); European crossbows: a survey, Royal Armouries, 1994,
  Nicolle, D; Arms and Armour of the Crusading Era 1050-1350, Greenhill Books,1999
  Paterson, W. F.; A guide to the crossbow, Society of Archer Antiquaries, 1990

I have the Payne-Gallwey book, though I don't recall having seen anything concrete on rising pin releases in that one.  I haven't checked out the other sources.  They seem to have documented their work pretty well, and so may be able to provide more details on provenance for the rising pin style.

-Edward