[Regia-NA] My input...

Tate William T Jr TSgt 352 OSS/SCSC list-regia-na@lig.net
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 13:02:37 -0000

A few bits of input, if a little scattered...

In this day of computer communication, as a network/computer tech, I see one
of the problems affecting the communications of the recent spate of emails
about tents.  The root of the problem is that there has been a mis-reading
of the first few emails.  Why?  Well, emails do not normally carry
inflection that is present in vocal communications...the mail is quite
simply incapable of carrying emotion.  The only option?  The dreaded
emoticon?  I don't like them, so I use them infrequently.  By far, the best
method we have for defeating the misinterpretation is re-reading any
confusing bit and asking questions of the originator.

There isn't really a Regia Anglorum and a Regia Anglorum North America.
These are arbitrary distinctions used for geographically defining
membership.  In all other respects, we are ALL Regia Anglorum.  The
guidelines that apply to someone here in the UK, also apply to Regia members
in North America.  There aren't two sets of standards.

Lori, I am quite sure that no one intended to insult you.  I know the
persons who offered advice, count on them as good friends, know that they
meant you no slight, and rely on them as valuable and knowledgeable
resources.  If a person who I know is an expert (at least at our level) in a
certain field, I know I can pretty much count on them to be accurate.  It is
a process of faith.  No one can know everything.  Regia can count among our
academic resources such distinguished persons as Ann Hagen.  But along the
same lines, we are only amateurs and make mistakes too.  Accuracy is a
watchword for Regia.  Thorough documentation is a goal that I always set for
myself when undertaking a project, not that the two necessarily meet in the
end.  BUT...the big exemption...if you are using your tent and representing
Regia, then you are not doing justice to the standard of excellence Regia
sets to exceed other SSS's (Superficially Similar Society(ies) ).  I will
shortly be rotating Stateside and it is quite possible that we will meet.
Should you be in some capacity a representative of Regia and using your tent
(although I know you said that isn't your intention...this is just a "for
instance"), I would be remiss if I didn't point out that your tent was
incorrect and needed to be removed.  Note that it would be done tactfully,
and not in the old-style, enthusiasm-crushing UK reenactorism, "That's crap,
that's crap, and by-the-way, that's crap as well."  Fortunately Regia left
that mind-set with other groups years back.  I have made my share of gaffs
in Regia, but have never met that reaction.

It really can't be said that I am a big SCA fan...my only real beef is it
bills itself as a reenactment organization, but that is a whole different
can of worms.  Yet, I don't recall anyone saying that persons within the SCA
are lacking in skill.  It has been repeatedly recognized that there are some
in the SCA who have gone to great lengths to produce amazing
reconstructions, research and documentation, several of them on this
e-group.  I do understand being starved for
information/documentation/research/resources.  Having come from the SCA, I
was foundering in one attempt after another.  It was most miraculous fortune
that I was able to come to the UK and join Regia (the funny thing is that I
had originally intended to join the NFPS!).  However, I realize not everyone
is that fortunate.  In my observances, though, the difference lies in the
perspective of the reenactor: most NA reenactors of our time period focus on
what were the possibilities, whereas here in the UK it's focus on what was
the actuality.

The bottom line and reality is: should someone not be able to take
criticism, or be told "no", then they need to find a different venue.  We
are adults and should be able to handle ourselves in an adult manner.  A
realization must be held that others are good-natured and have no intent of
insult, that they do not look down on others because of affiliations, and
they are only human...prone to mistakes and just as pressed as others
time-wise, unable to reply to demands instantly.

Bill/Leifr