[Regia-NA] FW: [The Manx] How to Sail a Viking Square Sail Ship

Nicholson, Andrew list-regia-na@lig.net
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 15:03:47 -0000

and while we're at it Halvgrimr :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Terry L. Neill [mailto:t_neill@hotmail.com]
Subject: [The Manx] How to Sail a Viking Square Sail Ship

Greetings!

I went to this seminar last year.  It was FANTASTIC.  You get to sail =
in a=20
square sail boat every day.  There is an overnight sail--out and back.  =
In=20
between sailing, there are lectures in Viking navigation, sailing=20
techniques, conservation and preservation of ships, a tour of the =
Viking=20
Ship Museum with Ole Crumlin Pederson, history of viking ship =
construction,=20
and a tour of the yard where they are building a replica of the largest =

Skuldalev ship.

If you can at all go, I highly recommend it.
Paul Nygard wrote me that he almost cancelled the class this year, and =
he=20
may not offer it next year because of low interest.  Part of that may =
be=20
because people don't know about the class.  I couldn't find anything on =
the=20
Viking Ship Museum web site, for example.

So please tell all your interested friends about this class.

The Youth Hostel is only a few yards from the museum, and the price is =
very=20
low.  It's a clean and modern hostel with good breakfasts available. =20
Roskilde is a beautiful town.  It's very easy to get there from the=20
Copenhagn Air Port.  Almost everyone in Denmark speaks understandable=20
English.

Nearby Roskilde is the Lerje Archeological Resource Center.  You can =
get=20
there on a bus.  It would make a good excursion for the weekend before =
or=20
after the course.

Also, the largest Viking reenactor's market in Europe is held in =
Hollviken,=20
Sweden in Skane just over the bridge between Copenhagen and Malmo, on =
the=20
last weekend in June.  A WONDERFUL shopping experience with VERY good=20
prices.  Pennsic shopping for Vikings! =20
http://www.foteviken.se/engelsk/index_e.htm

I hope you can go to this class.  At the least, write to Poul and tell =
him=20
if you are interested in this class for next year.

Regards!

  - Terry/Anarra

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

How to Sail the Single Square Sail?
A practical and theoretical course at the Viking Ship Museum in =
Roskilde
23.-27. June 2003
For more than 20 years has The Viking Ship Museum been building and =
sailing=20
reconstructions of Viking ships and other traditional square-rigged =
boats.=20
This course offers a unique opportunity to take advantage of the =
research=20
and knowledge that has been accumulated through this work.
=A8	Program every day from 8.30 a.m. to 4 p.m
=A8	Language: English
=A8	Sailing practise in traditional, square-rigged boats. Skilled
instructors=20
will be on board, though participants will be expected to take an =
active=20
part in navigating.
=A8	Two-days cruise on the Roskilde Fjord in replicas of Viking ships
from the=20
famous Skuldelev Find. This will include overnight stay (outdoors)  on =
the=20
shore of Roskilde Fjord.
=A8	Price: DKK 3000,- to include lunch each day and food on the=20
two-day-cruise. Accomodation is not included.  We can however, help to=20
arrange your accomodation at a nearby youth hostel or hotel.
Lectures held by researchers:
=A7	Ole Crumlin-Pedersen gives an introduction to the Skuldelev Finds -
from=20
excavation to reconstructions.
=A7	On the basis of archaeological finds and living tradtion Max Vinner
and=20
Erik Andersen demonstrates how to handle the single square sail in =
practice=20
and theory.
=A7	Anton Englert: Methods and results in documenting trial voyages. =
The

two-day-cruise will be used as example.
=A7	On the basis of the present project - the reconstruction of a 30
meters=20
longship - S=F8ren Nielsen (The Viking Ship Museum boatyard) tells =
about=20
materials, tools and methods in building Viking ships.
When relevant, lecturers will take part in the sailings.
For further information and booking please contact:
	The Viking Ship Museum
	att: Poul Nygaard
	Vindeboder 12
	P.O. Box 298
	4000  Roskilde
	Denmark
	phone (dir.):	+45 46 300 257
	fax: 		+45 46 300 256
	e-mail: 	 pn@vikingeskibsmuseet.dk
Number of participants is limited and all applications will be treated =
on a=20
"first come, first served" - basis.
Information about how to pay will be sent out when we confirm your =
booking.=20
Booking is final when you have payed.