[Regia-NA] Re: Making Fire

Lori Rael Northon list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 21:10:17 -0800

Thanks, Kim!

These are some really helpful tips.  I'll see if my husband  will pick up
some old files at The Boeing Company Surplus Store tomorrow, then I'll see
about grinding the teeth off the sides - I'm hoping you meant the wide flat
sides - is that correct?  I don't know what you mean by "fire fungus".  Is
that a type of mushroom that will catch on fire easily like punk wood?
While I was looking for information regarding flint, I ran across a message
from a Native American List where the author of the message said the best
tinder available in the forest was wasp's nests - paper wasps I'm thinking
and empty I hope.  Since I don't have any wasp's nests but instead a lot of
linen scrap around the house and some empty cans with lids, I'll have to try
to make the charred linen.  It doesn't sound too hard - watch me mess it up!
8^)  I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.  Thanks again, Kim.  I
appreciate your help.

Lori

Kim Siddorn said:

It's not that easy Lori. Roland can do it and makes it look as easy as -
well, an easy thing;o))

But try though I might, I must put my hand up to never having yet set fire
to anything with flint and steel - although once I have a smouldering ember,
I can keep it alight and make a good fire in almost any circumstances.

I know that the flint ought to have a freshly chipped surface (flintlockers
"hammer" their flints before shooting) and that the higher the carbon steel,
the greater the chance of getting a spark. Most modern steels are made from
bits of old files as that is the easiest source of HC steel. If you take a
sanding disc in an angle grinder to a file and take the teeth off two sides
without getting it too hot, you ought to then be able to get a spark. Strike
at a sharp angle, speed being important. Vary the angle until you get a
spark.

Do you have and "fire fungus" to catch it on? This is the best material,
although charred linen is very good too. You can make charred linen by
taking some small squares and put them in a boot polish tin or other tin
with a tight fitting lid. Put this in the fire or on the hob. The linen will
burn until it uses up the available oxygen and then (literally) turn into
charcoal. Keep it dry and dropping a single spark on it will cause it to
smoulder. Cherish the burn with tinder & away you go.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn