[Regia-NA] Blue dyeing

Carolyn Priest-Dorman list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:37:10 -0500

I'm pulling together things from more than one posting here in order to
inject some more facts into the discussion.  My approach to this subject
has been to read about what colorants and dyestuffs have been found in the
archaeological record and then to set about using them to dye
period-appropriate fibers and yarns.

Kim wrote:

>we decided over ten years ago that in
>respect of colour in dyes and pigments, we would only accept our own
>research as a baseline. Painted and dyed remains from the archaeological
>record are not reliable and extant examples are changed by both the passage
>of the years and variable storage conditions after excavation.

I am assuming from this that you mean "not reliable indicators of what the
original color actually looked like," which is certainly the
case.  However, dyed remains from the archaeological record frequently give
positive results when tested for the chemical colorants making up medieval
dyestuffs.  In some cases, based on the constellation of specific colorants
identified, it's even possible to make an informed guess at which member of
the madder family was the original dyestuff.

Quoting Lori, Hrolf wrote:

>     It is my understanding from countless
> > references too numerous to even mention, as well as many dye "experts"
> > across the board, that a very dark blue is achievable using woad.
>         Care to document these references and "experts"? If we have missed
>something, we would like to know, please...

I am not an expert, but I've achieved very dark blues on wool using
woad.  All it takes is patience during a successive number of dips into the
vat.  The more dips, the darker.  Medieval guild records from southern
France suggest that for the darker shades a succession of dips were
required, in a series of vats in various degrees of exhaustion, over the
course of a couple days.  That was no doubt due to the economy of scale
provided by the availability of several vats in an industrial setting; I
don't know of any evidence to support that scale of woad dyeing in Regia
period.  Still, given the fact that it has repeatedly proved trivially
simple for me to get dark blue yarn for small weaving and tablet weaving
projects in one evening using just a vat and patience, I doubt very much if
it was impossible in Regia period.  Most of the blue-dyed textiles found in
Scandinavia from that period have been extremely dark, nearly black.  See
my article on dyes of the Viking Age for several supporting archaeological