[Regia-NA] SCA-style vs. Regia-style discourse

Nicholson, Andrew list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 15:44:40 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Carolyn Priest-Dorman [mailto:capriest@cs.vassar.edu]

>If someone is looking for solid factual documentation, and is =
frustrated
because she isn't finding it, it isn't helpful for her to be hearing
something like this < big snip>

Good morning to the voice of reason. :-)

Folks must also remember that Regia AO's are human beings too, and that =
some
of us have brains like seives. That's probably why I'm a field =
archaeologist
and not in a university-based research post. After 25 years I =
frequently
can't recall where it was that I read a piece of information. If its a =
book
or article that I own, then there's a good chance I can find it, =
otherwise
its much harder [take collective hats off to folks like Magnus}.

I am on a couple of transatlantic period lists, and there is a =
tremendous
amount of really good research from SCA folks that is an absolute joy =
to tap
into, and some fascinating discussions about what is historically =
verifiable
and what is a re-enactorism. Peace-bonding on swords for instance, =
common to
both camps, but is it historically accurate?

Communication enables us all to get better. Email is not a good
communication mode for passionate subjects, but its all we've got, so =
lets
use it politely. Please take the time to re-read mails, especially =
before
hitting the 'Send' button. Some of the recent problems have simply =
occurred
because mails have not been read properly, and misinterpretations of =
intent
or tone have been the result.

Of course, anyone who says authenticity is fun has never been a =
National
Authenticity Officer....  :-p

Always happy to discuss things in civilised tones

Gu=F0rum