[Regia-NA] Re: [Regia] Re: documentation and misunderstandings

Schuster, Robert L. list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 09:14:03 -0600

Those of us who still play in the SCA and try to even be at least =
halfway
serious about the history seem to frequently alienate people who are in
the SCA to have fun and are not at all interested in history.  I think
that's why I was drawn to Regia in the first place.

-- Brett

i haven't got throw even half of my weekend email yet so i have missed =
some of this thread, but i wanted to weigh in with something i have said =
on other lists about SCA/Reenactors relations in the US

first let me say i support both groups, Reenactors and SCA folks
i am dedicated to both groups
i respect each for what they are and realize they have separate goals

i also believe that for Reenactment to get a foothold in the US it will =
be wise for any group to NOT alienate the SCA just because it is the SCA =
(now if they give you reason that's different)

i say this as most (i realize not all) US folks that will be drawn to =
Regia (or other groups) are probably in the SCA right now, just look at =
how many of us there are here now.

>From the SCA you will draw alot of folks that are having fun but looking =
for more, luckily most of the folks that don't care about the =
authenticity angle wont even notice the emerging groups and stay within =
the SCA.

As the SCA is the 12,000lb gorilla over here, we mostly had no other =
options until various other Reenactment groups from around the world =
gave us a chance and started aiding us with what we needed to do to get =
on our feet, i for one applaud and thanks each of these groups,=20

As far as i can tell nothing can be gained by pissing off the 12,000lb =
gorilla, as long as positive relations are maintained you will have a =
pretty good pool to draw from. As members get sucked in (this is a good =
thing), they can tell their buds how fun it is and have a great likely =
hood to draw them into a positive new environment.

if relations are bad and the word gets out that it isn't a positive =
environment, then recruiting will be slow, IMO

i know alot of folks don't care one way or the other but this is how i =
perceive this working in the long run

as long as folks that are playing both games know what is expected from =
them and pass along the differences i don't see why this has to be a =
"war" between groups

also keep in mind that some of the folks that are helping lay the =
foundation for reenacting here in the States are some of the same folks =
that helped lay the foundation for the SCA, over time these folks too =
have found that they seek something above what they were getting with =
the SCA (sorry if i am putting words in your mouths guys) having these =
folks around is promising because it is already proven that they will =
work hard for something they believe in and i am glad to have their =
experience and passion on board.

again, i know that there are some real staunch anti SCA folks around =
(and i maintain great internet relations with many of these folks, =
amazingly enough) and could care one way or the other but these are my =
opinions, your mileage may vary

Halvgrimr