[Regia-NA] Re: [Portland_Regia] Clearing up some things

Hrolf Douglasson list-regia-na@lig.net
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 23:11:23 -0000

we also have the problem of two peoples divided by a single language,..I for
one found the language used by the various americans on line
can..occasionally..be 'different' from the way I use the language. Not
better or worse just different...until I put on the head used for speaking
to my granma from Arizona. Then I realise what was trying to be said.
there is also the point that some of the members who answered the lady's
questions were highly respected and learned members of regia UK and were
speaking from many years of experience and reseach...to be told that they
didn't matter because of where they were geographically after thier opinion
had been sought was a little unfortunate to say the least.
In the UK I would have problems with ANY blue tents, at even a local show,
let alone 1 of 50..it was just sooo expensive,
nationally it would be up to others to decide whether or not to allow it
.One of our members had a blue tent which he has now disposed of on the
grounds it was not authentic(he did later mediveal before) those who met
Linda and Sonnie from my group when they came over will know how hard we try
over here.
We do have people who have hand produced tents within regia, they started
out whiteish and ended up sort of dirty ish  from smoke and grease.
personally I think the red colour came from the weather proofing used.
Thames barges were known for their red sails..and from written recolds dated
from the 15oo's the red came from a mixture used to proof the material from
the salt spray.
The mix is
cod liver oil
red ochre
urine..by tradition cow of horse from the stock market.
mix together to for a paint and apply with large floor brushes
it stinks lots but it does protect against salt and spray and makes the
sails water proof.
yes there are manuscripts with vine leaf type sleeves. But have you ever
tried to weave such a pattern on a warp weighted loom?
either paint or embroidery was so much more likely. and if painted they
could be redone regulalry..maybe to mark a comanders tent out from the
rest??after all we are talking subsistance economy for many.
it is this attention to detail that makes regia what it is..and why many of
us joined in the first place. We spend the money and if it is not right we
learn, hide what we have bought and do better next (I remember my beautiful
13th century jug that NEVER comes onto the wic since its provinence was
pointd out to me)

Hope this clarifies my possition when I was answering the lady about her
Dark Blue Tent..I was not trying to be hateful, horrid or even just awkward
I was answering a newbies question as I would from One of my own group
vara