[Regia-NA] Re: [Portland_Regia] Clearing up some things

Dorian Butcher list-regia-na@lig.net
Sat, 08 Mar 2003 14:01:11 -0800

Hi, everyone.

    I've been following the various debates for the last few days, and I
figured that I'd throw out my own opinions on a variety of topics that have
come up.

    First of all, I joined Regia because I really admire what the people in
the UK have achieved. I think that the group as a whole is an outstanding
example of what I hope to do myself. However, I think of myself as a member
of Regia Anglorum first, and a member of Regia NA second. That being the
case, I feel that those of us in North America need to hold ourselves to at
least the same standard as our UK cousins, and I personally would try for a
higher standard, if such a thing is possible. Since we don't enjoy the same
support network that UK members have, any mistakes we make will stand out
all the more. If one of two tents looks off, that stands out more than one
out of fifty tents being off.

    Which bring me to the subject of tents. In regards to color, ect i can
understand why those across the pond would frown on one with dark blue
panels. In the grand scheme of things, such a tent would be quite rare.
However, I also feel that the subject could have been handled with a little
more diplomacy. In my opinion, much of the critisism that went Lori's way
was less than constructive. She and I will most likely be members of the
same local group, should we get arould to forming one. We only live about
120 miles apart. No one else arould here has taken the plunge and made a
tent yet. For that,at least, I salute Lori and would be willing to put up
with her blue tent intill it fades, or is replaced with something better.
However, I would have a big problem with TWO blue tents!

    Last, a request to members everywhere. If you feel that someone is
incorrect, about something, don't just say "You're doing that wrong". Many
people have gone one step further and provided a reasonable argument for
thier position. PLEASE go to the next stage and include your information on
how to do something correctly, and why this is correct. I think that
everyone could learn from this.

    Dorian - Portland,Oregon,USA