[Regia-NA] Re: Viking naval warfare

Brett W. McCoy list-regia-na@lig.net
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 15:15:42 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Brian Lathrop wrote:

> The History of Olav Trygvason in Snorre Sturlason's Heimskringla describes the
> battle of svold. Also King Harald's Saga describes the Battle of Nissa, a naval
> battle that accured at the mouth of the River Nissa in August 1062 (King
> Harald's Saga, Penguin Classics, 1966, ISBN 0-14-044183-2)

Does Regia ever re-enact this kind of warfare? :-)

The root of the discussion surrounded the idea of doing something like
this at an SCA event, with 'longships' used on the battlefield, with some
guys rowing/maneuvering the ships and some guys fighting.  I saw something
similar done once with an attack of the Spanish Armada on a coastal
English town that was pretty interesting (no real water of course).

-- Brett
                                          http://www.chapelperilous.net/
Machines take me by surprise with great frequency.
- Alan Turing