[Regia-NA] Bacon Sandwiches

Jeanne list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 04:45:34 -0400

Bacon in the UK is quite different and you can buy it smoked or unsmoked,
dry or wet cured, with rind or without and in a wide range of types such as
streaky, long back, best back, high back, collar, medium and gammon.

In the Deep South, New Orleans to be exact, we have THICK cut bacon for our
pot of red beans!  But I'd love to go for a visit to ya'll.  My ex-MIL was
from Tonbridge Wells and I prayed daily for her NOT to cook Xmas dinner.
She couldn't cook if her life depended on it!

When she first moved to the US in the 1950s after she married Archie, she
said she read an article in the Times-Picayune newspaper that said you can
cook a bird in a large brown paper bag.  Now we do that for Quail and Capon
and birds like that.  Kinda like cooking in parchment or foil.

BUT, not Di!  No, she thought she could cook Thanksgiving turkey in it.
Took the New Orleans Fire Department 4 hours to put out the fire!  The paper
bag caught fire and she had gone back to bed as it takes several HOURS to
cook a turkey!  Thank goodness for alert neighbors!  She did get to meet
several nice ones she said!

Soffya Appollonia Tudja
http://www.aeonline.biz/Links.htm
three fleur-de-lys Or