[Regia-NA] Viking festival in Iceland

Matthew Marino list-regia-na@lig.net
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:40:20 -0400

Jumping in near the end as usual.

And changing the subject.

Hi Bill;

   So, it looks like your off to join your fellow Norse. I'm Jealous!!=20=

Go to the shore and find me a small sea worn rock would you. Though,=20
the weather is finally come around to my liking! So, it sounds true=20
that Iceland is not what the name implies. Was that really a Norse ploy=20=

to keep others from getting interested in the Island? Sounds a little=20
like Seattle. Right North but because of ocean currents is much milder=20=

than an inland area at the same lattitude, (i.e. Seattle and=20
International Falls).

   May I please pick your brain again on the Maille? In the Norse Age, I=20=

have read that the "wire" was drawn by hand by the smith (usually=20
apprentice). I have noticed on early reproduction maille that the=20
"wire" has a square section. Is this to indicate that the drawing was=20
done to the square? I'm thinking of riveting up my shirt over the next=20=

few years. I have found a source that sells round section rings,=20
flatted and punched for riveted maille at a very reasonable rate. Do=20
you know anything about that?