[Regia-NA] Mostly incomprehensible

Steve Etheridge list-regia-na@lig.net
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 10:31:51 +0000

------=_NextPart_000_664b_4c54_53db

>From: "Douglas Sunlin" <dsunlin@hotmail.com>

Sorry, but what's a ruck and where can I get one? ;) I think this may be a
translation problem; a "ruck" over here is a military backpack with a
reputation for being quite heavy when full. That's not what you were talking
about was it???

Ah bist, Ma Mon?

If Yow caw tell wor Ah'm torkin abaht, orl Yow've gorra dow is spaek op.
Ar'l gue ah bit slewer an lahder.

What I meant to say was "when a calf-length tunic is passed through a belt
worn underneath it in order to create a fold sufficient to be a useful
carrying space, the length of the hem will come up to above the level of the
knees"

We have the word "rucksack" which seems to be equal to your word "ruck"

I apologise for being transatlantically incomprehensible.  However, once
when asked to examine something owned by a member from Germany, I
unthinkingly replied that I would "have a butchers" - which got met by a
blank stare.  I can't help it if I've got an east london Dad, a home
counties Mum, and got brought up in the black country ;-)

Steve

P.S. For the uninitiated:  Rhyming slang.  Butchers hook = look

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

------=_NextPart_000_664b_4c54_53db