[Regia-NA] combs and mirrors

rmhowe list-regia-na@lig.net
Wed, 04 Jun 2003 22:46:48 -0400

Years ago [early to mid 80's] when I was a model maker we
used a variable durometer Urethane resin, which could be
ordered/made to toughness desired and colored like ivory
or bone. I want to say it was called Rencothane. This stuff
was capable of taking exact impressions right down to hair
cells/grain just like the rtv molds we used.

We were making prototype models of various telephone cases and
buttons and computer parts - had to look like they were the real
thing when we were done. Including the finish and lettering.

We used rtv rubber molds of course, and all things considered
there would still be some clean up involved. For something as
fine as comb teeth it would be extensive, and I expect the
mold might have to be filled under vacuum, not just the
material before it's poured into the mold. If anyone ever got
this right there would be thousands of potential customers,
but It could look pretty damned good actually.

My application for this is I would like to do some ivory mirror
cases of the French style, only I can't find ANY thing on them
in English archaeoligical sources.  I have lots of pictures of
the carved sides, none at all of the mirror sides or the method
of closure or encasements. I understand some were clam-shell
and some were twist type closures. As I understand it only
one pair is know to have been attached in modern times.

**Any knowledge you might have on this subject would be highly
appreciated.**

I spent hours last week combing through the British/Irish
database. I think I'm going to have to subscribe to that thing.
But almost all the mirror stuff is either Celtic or Roman
until you find some little mirrors made in pewter clamshells.
I know a little about them is in the Museum of London books
and the Artefacts Identified books from Greenlight Publishing.

A friend in England sent me some stuff from the British Museum
years ago that were partial German articles (no doubt to protect
copyright)on the little metal ones but I know the source of them.
Finding those wouldn't be that bad a problem. Finding stuff
on the ivory mirrors is. The little metal mirrors were made
by blowing a bubble of glass, breaking it into suitable sizes
to fit, treating the glass somehow for reflectivity and puttying
the convex side out in.

Years ago I couldn't afford one copied by the Met for my wife
from an antiques dealer. Making one of those in resin would
be not too difficult actually. The resins cost a ton but...
I have the rest of the equipment. Almost the same as for
jewelry casting doing the investment process.

Usually when one sees a comb in sculptures or illuminations -
say with a mermaid - she's holding a mirror and what is
usually a wooden style comb. There are a few highly carved
ivory ones done in the wooden shape. I have a real wood one
  - likely from 19th C. Europe and the style hasn't changed
much at all from what is in my archaeological books.
Boxwood would have been a more ideal material.
I have a large horn one not too far from me that is modern.
I believe historicenterprises.com sells them. They have
some nice shears for sure. Look under miscellaneous on
the left of their pages and you will find a fine wooden
comb.  I notice now they are carrying the Herjolfnes gown too.

Magnus