[Regia-NA] geteld

Carolyn Priest-Dorman list-regia-na@lig.net
Tue, 03 Jun 2003 12:03:18 -0400

Ælfgifu (I'm slowly getting used to that) wrote:

>Ok, Thora:  I just saw your gorgemous geteld!  Tell me more!
>Did you embroider it?

Here's the quick version.

No, it's painted.  My husband did the engineering, we designed it together,
and my apprentice and I sewed the canvas (the tent with the green
ring-chain decoration is hers:  she does 10th century Isle of Man).  It's
made of oil-painted ash, Sunforger canvas, and the canvas paint is diluted
latex enamel.  The painted top is based on bear-ended hogback tombstones in
north Yorkshire (my husband's totem is the bear), and the color scheme is
based on those found on Viking Age painted woodwork.  (The ash is painted
creamy pale yellow.)

I've *got* to finish that web page with the photos and the layout and the
manuscript references we used....  A lot of it has been drafted, but it's
just not top priority for my husband, so the engineering section hasn't
been written yet.

Carolyn Priest-Dorman              Þóra Sharptooth
  http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/thora.html