[Regia-NA] Woolen Tunics & Books in North America

list-regia-na@lig.net list-regia-na@lig.net
Sat, 31 May 2003 23:39:23 EDT

--part1_159.1fecd53f.2c0acf6b_boundary

According to some articles in Archaeology and in a few other publications
like Costume in Arthurian Britain.  Some of the woolens found in Nydam, Birka,
and York were very much like tropical weight twills and herringbone, while
others were similar to a medium houndstooth weave.  Since most post-Roman northern
Europeans depended almost exclusively on wool, linen, jute, and hemp fabrics,
there is an incredible range of weights and weaves.  Of course, those peoples
living would layer their clothing if they could and one of the Birka dig
sights had the remains of a woman wearing a linen underdress, woolen stockings, a
wool under tunic, a pair of wrap around aprons pinned on the front with
broaches, and a woolen overcoat.  Due to the presence of silver and bronze jewelry it
is presumed that she was at least of the merchant or perhaps wealthy farming
class.
Being a ACW reenactor, it pays to wear linen underdrawers and undershirts
beneath wool to remain cool.  I have been at events in May in Georgia where I was
reasonably comfortable although I was sweating like a pig.
I don't know about Britain, but I frequently get books that are out of print
through inter-library loan.  Perhaps there is a similar system on the Eastern
side of the Atlantic with public libraries.

Pagan aka
Patrick Owen
Nashville, TN

--part1_159.1fecd53f.2c0acf6b_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3D2>According to some article=
s in Archaeology and in a few other publications like Costume in Arthurian B=
ritain. &nbsp;Some of the woolens found in Nydam, Birka, and York were very=20=
much like tropical weight twills and herringbone, while others were similar=20=
to a medium houndstooth weave. &nbsp;Since most post-Roman northern European=
s depended almost exclusively on wool, linen, jute, and hemp fabrics, there=20=
is an incredible range of weights and weaves. &nbsp;Of course, those peoples=
 living would layer their clothing if they could and one of the Birka dig si=
ghts had the remains of a woman wearing a linen underdress, woolen stockings=
, a wool under tunic, a pair of wrap around aprons pinned on the front with=20=
broaches, and a woolen overcoat. &nbsp;Due to the presence of silver and bro=
nze jewelry it is presumed that she was at least of the merchant or perhaps=20=
wealthy farming class.
<BR>Being a ACW reenactor, it pays to wear linen underdrawers and undershirt=
s beneath wool to remain cool. &nbsp;I have been at events in May in Georgia=
 where I was reasonably comfortable although I was sweating like a pig.
<BR>I don't know about Britain, but I frequently get books that are out of p=
rint through inter-library loan. &nbsp;Perhaps there is a similar system on=20=
the Eastern side of the Atlantic with public libraries.
<BR>
<BR>Pagan aka
<BR>Patrick Owen
<BR>Nashville, TN</FONT></HTML>

--part1_159.1fecd53f.2c0acf6b_boundary--