[Regia-NA] Re: Moths in your fur balls.

rmhowe list-regia-na@lig.net
Sat, 31 May 2003 22:25:03 -0400

J Hill wrote:
> Meanwhile, I'm totally exhausted tonite... continuing the battle against the
> clothes moths ... tho't they'd been eradicated, but saw one flying about
> tonite.  Not a good sign.  esp as I've brought most of my fleeces back into
> the house.

Something I wouldn't have believed in necessarily but came on them in
a search for a new way to get rid of squirrels in my fruit trees -

Something I wouldn't have believed in necessarily but came on them in
a search for a new way to get rid of squirrels in my fruit trees -
Northern Tool and Equipment Co. http://www.northerntool.com/
has various varieties of bug and mosquitoes, rodent, and deer
sonic repellers.

Some of them are only 4" long by less than an inch wide and clip
on/in your clothing.  They cost all of $2 and take ordinary
AA batteries.  The portable set-down models take 3 AAA's and work
for days, those are about $15. This would be ideal for camping.
The mosquitos I've had come near me go all erratic.  My wife, who
develops huge welts from them when she gardens, is currently
untouched since she started carrying the little clip on model.

The biggest one is put out by Sunbeam and cost me $60.  Last year
the squirrels robbed me of about 800 pieces of fruit. I'm putting
the thing between the two trees. ;) It may well run them out of
the neighborhood. My yard building with it's nice big overhang is
directly ajacent.

My neighbors are Vietnamese and I've never seen an asian house
without cockroaches due to the cooking styles. They got one and
swear by them.  Theirs is a plug in model.Northern Supply has various
[...]

So far we have three types. I'm thinking of getting another
smaller plug in model. We have some yard rats who live off the
bird feeder droppings.

The things work.  My wife, who has very sensitive hearing in
the high scale, can hear them if they aren't turned on low.
She uses earplugs at all the movies we go to.

My experience with most larvae is they are highly resistant
to microwaves.  Every now and then I get ahold of something
with them in it - like an old tool handle. Seven minutes on
high doesn't kill some of them - at least not quickly.
Any longer and I'd have charcoal and not just a smoky microwave.

Incidentally, someone found a way to bend bows by making a hole
in the door and rear wall of your ordinary microwave. It was in
an archery publication I get several years ago. You don't stand
right next to it while it's in operation. He used a remote switch.
It's an alternative to steam bending.

Magnus