[Regia-NA] Just glowing dear........

rmhowe list-regia-na@lig.net
Tue, 21 May 2002 11:32:03 -0400

Jurdank3123@cs.com wrote:

> Yeah...that's what I told her but it just didn't fly.  Oh well...I guess I'll
> have to start bathing again. Regards, - Jeff/Thorfinn
>
> kim.siddorn@blueyonder.co.uk writes:
>
> << Sweat Kills Germs - Official
>   Hot and sweaty during a battle? Padded jack getting stiff with age and
> salt? Well never mind, now you have a perfect excuse!
>
>   German researchers have identified a protein, dermcidin, that is
> manufactured only in the sweat glands.  Test-tube experiments found that
> dermcidin kills a variety of bateria, including E.coli, E.faecalis, and
> Staphyloccus aureus, which can infect skin wounds, as well as Candida
> albicans, a fungus that can cause thrush.  Sweat carries the protein to
>  the skin's surface to guard against invading organisms.
>
>   One might make the reasonable assessment that the body is more at risk of
> external injury during exercise than whilst watching Neighbours - although
> the mind may not be, of course.
>
>   When your loved one takes you to task for smelling like an old horse at the
> top of a hill in July, you can tell them you are taking precautions against
> bacteriological attack.
>
>  Regards,
>
>  Kim Siddorn.

When I was in grade school we had one student who was sewn by his
mother into his longjohns for the duration of the winter.
This was back in the fifties in an Appalachian Mountain county school.
He did get really ripe. Winters last a long time in the mountains.

When I was in an English-style High Episcopal Boarding School later
a student named Seashole tried the same thing. Did not even take
the longjohns off for gym, nor did he shower. It was bad enough when
his room door was closed in the dorm, gym was bad, sitting anywhere
near him in class was terrible.

When it got to where no one could stand it any further he was
mobbed by half the dorm, dragged down to the showers, stripped
and a liberal amount of powdered cleanser and wire brushes were very
liberally applied. The longjohns were burned in the yard outside.
When they got done it looked like he'd been keelhauled.

Not that it's much of an excuse, but the -only- time the dorms were
ever heated was between 6 and 9 pm. By morning it was 10 degrees
in them some mornings. That's Fahrenheit by the way. In order to
survive you put on all the clothes you owned and all the blankets.
I got double pneumonia with asthma (I've outgrown it in adult years)
one of my three years. At least the infirmary was heated. Those
three years I had three rooms. Two had very little heat. One had
such a bad pressure relief valve we had plaster dripping/dropping off of
the ceiling. It was steam heat from coal furnaces. We had to shovel
coal out of the flatcars into a truck at the train station, and
then again into the buildings too. Black as tar-babies. Never heard
of dust masks either.

So off hand I'd say it's highly liable to inspire an attack.
At least if you're upwind of the neighboring settlements.

It figures the Germans would discover this. I had an English teacher in
high school whose German artist husband would not allow her to shave
her legs. Looked like ten thousand tiny tents under the nylons.
I suppose today they'd be called Earth Pimples after the ny-glo tents.

I wonder if any of the Russians took those new-fangled indoor potato
washers they discovered in the little German rooms home after WWII.

Magnus