[Regia-NA] Thought this was interesting.

Kimberly Karn kimberly@ka9q.net
Thu, 09 May 2002 17:39:59 -0700

My husband forwarded this to me. I thought it was kind of cool. I know I
cross posted so sorry if you get it twice.
Start quote...
I didn't know archeology could be so, uh, exciting.

BTW, I think this is the same chemical reaction at work in those
non-reusable handwarmers you bought.

--Phil

Ancient Cannonballs Come to Life with a Bang

LONDON (Reuters) - Cannon balls retrieved from ancient shipwrecks are
wreaking thunderous havoc centuries later -- by exploding on the desks of
archaeologists, New Scientist magazine said Wednesday.

Robert Child, of the National Museums and Galleries of Wales in Cardiff,
told the magazine that he had recorded several instances where the old
rusted balls of metal started to heat up and turn red, or explode after
being exposed to oxygen.

In one case, a ball retrieved from a 1691 wreck heated up to a few hundred
degrees after several minutes in the open air, began to glow a dull red and
started burning its way through the pine table.

"There was smoke coming off the bench," he told the magazine.

Child said in several cases the prized artifacts had split open many weeks
after they were pulled from the sea.

He said the explosions happened because the balls had developed a
lattice-like porous structure over hundreds of years that reacted with
oxygen to produce massive amounts of heat.

The combination of oxygen and sea salt caused rapid oxidation resulting in
the balls "exploding" open and crumbling into bits.

"We are the origins of war, not history's forces nor the times nor justice
nor the lack of it nor causes nor religions nor ideas nor kinds of
government nor any other thing. We are the killers we breed war... For the
love of God, can't we love another just a little. That's how peace begins.
We have so much to love each other for. We have such possibilities my
children. We could change the world." Eleanor of Aquataine in the "Lion in
Winter"