[Regia-NA] Virus warning

Allan McVie amv2f@udcf.gla.ac.uk
Thu, 02 May 2002 16:45:42 +0100

At 08:29 02/05/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Bear in mind that this virus may not have come from the person in the
>sender field. The Klez virus uses email addresses it picks up from text
>files on an infected computer and uses them not only to send itself out,
>but also to masquerade as another. It's a tricky little virus. Mistrust all
>attachments you get in the mail especially if you are not expecting them.
>Kimberly

The Virus protection software we have here in work is upto date and it
detected the virus at the same time as the computor told me I had the
e-mail that contained it.
The Return address was different from the Sender address.

On reading up on the virus it appears quite nasty in the way it works
-searching your computor for e-mail addresses
-randomisation of subjectline
-Random message text
-The attached file randomly named with one of the following extensions
.PIF, .SCR, .EXE, or .BAT
-The sender address chosen from a list within the virus itself

Allan