[Regia-NA] Incorporating?

Jeffrey Fulton list-regia-na@lig.net
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 19:01:11 -0400

The Knights of St. Denys, our equestrian group, performs twice a year at the Kentucky Horse Park.  We do parades, a Living History camp, jousting demonstrations and live steel fighting in the manner of Fiore.  We also do church faires, timelines and school & library convos.  We have never been asked for insurance in six years.  My insurance agent (who has video taped us before and knows what we do) said as long as we don't accept any money, than each individual is covered under their own medical insurance policy for injury, and by their homeowners policy for liability.  If we purchase group insurance, that implies a recognized risk, and increases the odds for lawsuits by the unscruplous attorneys (THAT narrows them down a lot!!!) because of the increase in the limitations of 1/2 mil. for homeowners to 2 mil. for event policies.
So no insurance is necessary UNTIL you start getting paid for events.
I was in a Renn. Faire group for 5 years (who also had no insurance) and they decided to incorporate.  It cost $1,600.00 and took a year, eating up all of their money for a year and eventually contributing to their breaking up.  (Although huge egos were more to blame.)

I personally feel very strongly about any sort of affiliation with the SCA.  I feel it is a LARP group, and will undermine our credibility to the point that I would be embarrassed to say I was a part of GS.

Bjorn