[Regia-NA] Re: [Regia] Grinding Wheels & Scrams

Frojel Gotlandica list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 11:28:43 +1000

For what it is worth my grandfather had two old grinding wheels, as a ch=
ild it was my job to wet the stone
and keep it wet with a jug of water, later I actually got to turn the ha=
ndle and found that once it was moving
it turned quite easily. The big wheel was over 100 years old and that wa=
s more than 50 years ago, Oak
framed with an iron handle and bronze bushes with oil holes. A very mode=
rn version of a very old tool.
The older smaller wheel, 18 inch half the size of the big one, was not a=
s modern and was used only rarely.
The wheels had to be turned away from the user and was used to sharpen e=
verything from axes and hoes
down to kitchen knives etc. Grinding was done with files not the wheel. =
The house we lived in was built in
1690 and most of the equipment and fittings were inherited with the farm=
 including both wheels. The big one
had a square iron shaft through a square hole rounded where it went thro=
ugh the bushes, the smaller had a
square shaft as well but the bushes were iron, open ended and U shaped a=
nd my grandfather had to lift it out
of the open slot and grease the axel before use . Considering how well t=
hey worked I doubt the design saw
many changes over the centuries.  I have no idea how old either one was =
other than my grandfather telling
me the big wheel (The new one as he called it ) had been in the family f=
or more than 100 years and it was a
priviledge to be allowed to turn it, talk about reverse Physcology. Oh w=
ell. You live and learn, he used the
same trick to get me to pump water from the well.
Sandy