[Regia-NA] Re: [Regia] Grinding Wheels & Scrams

yolli list-regia-na@lig.net
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 10:42:37 +0100

There is every reason to believe that you can wedge a grinding wheel on a
pole lathe. However, getting used to sharpening on an occilating stone must
take some getting used to...... Other examples have been unearthed in Hedeby
and show a square shaft hole - I think this is true of some of the York ones
as well ( Martin feel free to comment here please ).

Another subtlety is that they must run through a bath of water, or be
whetted ( no oil  at all ) and not used dry. If I recall correctly, the
grinder must be above the wheel in the case of a large one with the wheel
running away from him picking up water from the trough below pulling it up
and over the grinding surface. Hence nose to the grindstone.........etc,
etc.

As for their size, again I think we should not get too hung up over their
technology. I wouldn't be too surprised to find they used water to power
larger wheels. I witnessed the direct driven side shot mill replica at
Wexford - the same thing that was found at Tamworth. It's fair to say that
when they open the sluice gate the thing fair pissed round ( sorry for the
expletive, but I can't think of another word to describe the violence of
it ) - I don't wonder that they burnt down regularly if they ran out of
flour between their stones.

Roll.