[Regia-NA] long bow draw weights for today's reenactor?

Jeffrey Fulton list-regia-na@lig.net
Sat, 08 Jun 2002 19:02:08 -0400

Hmmmm...not trying to start anything with the SCA, but most of the archers tend to be people in too poor of physical shape to fight heavy combat, are women, and who don't shoot on a regular basis.  While I'm not in the SCA, I do fall into the latter catagory.  Of course there are a few "archers champions" types who will want the best, as well.
I am 5'10", 200 lbs, and can wear armour all day or ride a horse, so I'm in better shape than most that I've seen.  I have two bows - a cheap 45 lb. oak/hickory/some other wood, with an arrow shelf, and I can shoot that easily.  I also have a 55' hickory-backed lemonwood D stave shelfless longbow that is NICE - but I'd have to work up to being able to pull it to my ear for 20 arrows.
Therefore, I would suggest:
30' bows for combat archery - or at least that was the rule here 3 years ago.  Plus, Patty can pull her 30' bow all afternoon with no problem.
40' bows for guys like me.
50' bows for guys who shoot consistantly or are more physically fit.
A few 70' yew horn-nocked D stave bows for the guys who are into it.

Some people might be intimidated by no arrow shelf.  I'd have some of both.
You can make a stronger bow by lamination, but you may also want to have some that are all one piece.

Bjorn