[Regia-NA] Testing a Theory about whetstones!

Peter James list-regia-na@lig.net
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 07:23:02 +0100

Greetings again.

I'm glad the idea has proved to have some merit. My conclusion was based
on discussion and theorisation only.

It was proposed to explain the number of Viking age whetstones that have
been found with
a) No sign of use
b) Carefully made silver fitments.

(The prime example of this being the one from Sutton Hoo (pre-Viking of
course, but still a bloody great piece of schist with no visible
shapening marks and very fancy ends)  :)

It seemed a lot of trouble to go to for an item kept in a box and only
used to sharpen a knife. Of course many would heve been used for this
primary purpose, but I am now secure that when I wear my silver-topped
one looped over my belt, the theory has some basis in science.

Guthrothr