[Regia-NA] Whetstones

yolli list-regia-na@lig.net
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 12:20:10 +0100

reason.

Cheers, Roll.

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Hazel Uzzell=20
  To: list-regia-na@lig.net=20
  Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 11:21 AM
  Subject: Re: [Regia-NA] Whetstones

  Dear all,
  As a female, I nearly always carry a whetstone, either dangling from =
my belt or suspended from brooch if being a 'Viking'.
  Needless to say, it is a small one!
  Regards,
  Hazel

  ,
  For a long time I mused on this question and suggested it to several =
people. A whetstone was a pretty essential item and there is an =
interesting collection of them at the National Museum of Wales in =
Cardiff. I was never much for making kit and so I never did get round to =
making one. The warriors who should all have had one, partly as a =
distinction of rank never bothered with them because they used blunt =
weapons. The LHE, once they had tried splitting logs with a blunt axe =
probably got round to carrying a sharpening block but I don't recall =
anyone ever having one.
    You should definitely make lots because, under strict authenticity I =
think it should qualify as a sword weilders item. It makes as much sense =
as compulsory eating equipment or hats and more sense than the =
preoccupation with shoes
    Regards,=20
    Tampa Timbo

------=_NextPart_000_0061_01C22742.F8786600

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Tom Sweeting gave me an example he =
bought at the=20
exhibition - it's a beautiful pinky stone and about 3 or 31/2 inches =
long which=20
I have about me or in my bag. In addition for larger stuff, I have a =
Schist=20
whetstone about eight inches in length from Telemark in Norway; A banded =
slate=20
one from the Lake District equally as big; and a *********** one, damn,=20
forgotten the name ( Phyrite?? ) found on a beach near Oban of a similar =
size.=20
In fact the one from Oban furnished a number of flat stones that I've =
used to=20
work a Marble block nice and smooth for glass bead working - when I get =
round to=20
that one that is. I built the glass oven but left it in =
Denmark!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I believe that anyone who needed to =
sharpen a tool=20
edge needed a whetstone of some sort, otherwise they just couldn't have =
done the=20
work. Even in the thirties in Austria, each man with a scythe had to =
have a=20
whetstone to help cut the hay.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The personal whetstone doesn't obviate =
the need for=20
the larger rotary stones, but at least you can take the smaller ones =
wherever=20
you need. My bag ( with it's contents ) and my axe are never far apart =
for that=20
reason.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Cheers, Roll.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dgythe@snrd.freeserve.co.uk=20
  href=3D"mailto:gythe@snrd.freeserve.co.uk">Hazel Uzzell</A> </DIV>
title=3Dlist-regia-na@lig.net=20
  href=3D"mailto:list-regia-na@lig.net">list-regia-na@lig.net</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, July 09, 2002 =
11:21=20
  AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: [Regia-NA] =
Whetstones</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Dear all,</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>As a female, I nearly always carry a =
whetstone,=20
  either dangling from my belt or suspended from brooch if being a=20
  'Viking'.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Needless to say, it is a small =
one!</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Regards,</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hazel</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>,</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>For a long time I mused on this =
question and=20
  suggested it to several people. A whetstone was a pretty essential =
item and=20
  there is an interesting collection of them at the National Museum of =
Wales in=20
  Cardiff. I was never much for making kit and so I never did get round =
to=20
  making one. The warriors who should all have had one, partly as a =
distinction=20
  of rank never bothered with them because they used blunt weapons. The =
LHE,=20
  once they had tried splitting logs with a blunt axe probably got round =
to=20
  carrying a sharpening block but I don't recall anyone ever having=20
  one.</FONT></DIV>
  <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>You should definitely make lots =
because, under=20
    strict authenticity I think it should qualify as a sword weilders =
item. It=20
    makes as much sense as compulsory eating equipment or hats and more =
sense=20
    than the preoccupation with shoes</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Regards, </FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Tampa=20
Timbo</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0061_01C22742.F8786600--