[Regia-NA] Kirkcudbright and Largs

J. K. Siddorn list-regia-na@lig.net
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 02:30:36 +0100

Kirkcudbright  6-11 August 2002
 A major show in Southern Scotland, with boats, LHE, archery, wedding,
landing parties, the works. Skirmishes, LHE and boats through the week,
wedding on Saturday morning, battle Saturday afternoon. Battle on Sunday,
followed by (short) torchlit procession and boat-burning on Sunday evening.
The campsite is down by the river, with access negotiated to the adjacent
swimming pool for showers, and a good range of shops nearby. We have it from
Monday  5th through to Monday 12th.

 The show has been timed to coincide with the highest tides of the year,
enabling us to use the bigger boat to transfer the groom and his party to
the quayside for the wedding, and to bring warriors to the battlefield. Two
years ago they had the Manx Vikings, who did a wonderful beaching, then ran
ashore with horned helmets, furry waistcoats, sacking tunics and
double-headed axes. The locals WERE impressed by the spectacle, and Galweg
found it faintly embarrassing being in the vicinity. I would like to think
that Regia can do better, and if the Maritime Officer approves, we intend to
use the boats to deliver landing parties into the combat zone.  We are also
organizing an archery shoot against one of the local clubs, so bring your
bows.

 Last year they had the Civil War bunch, with over 900 participants, so they
have high expectations, and want a good turn-out from us. I realise that it'
s a long way for a lot of you, and that many have already taken a week off
for Fritton. I also remember the long arguments we had at the High Witan
about raising the membership fees, and the cost of running the society.
Kirkcudbright is our highest grossing event this year, and together with
Largs will contribute nearly 40% of the Society's show income for this
year - which will make it even worse if we end up looking like a
one-man-and-his-dog outfit, without enough people to man the boats and
provide a wedding party, let alone two armies. For the last few years we
have had to do Largs with less than 50 people.  So please think twice before
saying Scotland's too far this year (and to all of you who do make the
effort each year, you know who you are, many thanks, we do appreciate it).

 Guğrum

 Largs 2002

 Once again we are putting on the battle for the local council and after
missing doing the LHE last year we are again supplying the LHE for the Largs
Viking Festival Committee. This years dates are set up on 31st Aug with the
LHE starting on the 1st Sept. the LHE runs through the week with the battle
on Saturday 7th and the last day of the LHE on Sunday 8th.  This year we
have the Scout Hall booked from Friday 30th through to Sunday 8th Sept. so
no camping involved unless you want to rough it on the site in an
authenti-tent. The Scout hall is right in the centre of Largs close to all
the normal facilities.

 It is planned that there will be training on the Saturday afternoon
(12.00-3.00) before the battle. (A chance to play with unusual weapons like
12' spears).  We still need some people for the LHE during the week for the
school visits. At present we have (from outwith Scotland) Hrolf and Vara,
who are supplying a good part of the LHE along with Dave the Moneyer. It is
planned that Regia supplies all the authenti-food on the LHE for the week.

 We have an invite to take part in the battle re-enactment of Bannockburn,
which takes place during the first weekend of Largs, so here is a chance to
take part in two late battles over two weekends and take part on the LHE
during the week.

 Allan