[Regia-NA] FW: Sheilds

Nathan Beal list-regia-na@lig.net
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 14:20:22 +0100

--=_NextPart_Lycos_0012281040131222_ID

>I am going to try the plaster on my next one.

Not sure about bothering with that myself.  I really don't know what our provenence is
for it, i will have a chat/heated discussion with steve next time i see him.

That said don't let that stop you.  It's just that if you use leather or fine fabric to face
you save the needto put a skim coat on top.

>  One more question: we are raising our shield bosses and I am wondering if you have
> any sugestions on if the boss should be curved to match the sheild or shound there be
> a flater spot where it attaches.

Angled ...

A lot of the bosses found have deeply slanted flanges (above 5 degrees), this is used by
some to suggest that the shield they were attached to was curved in all planes
(lenticular).  Others suggest there was a collared insert and that the flange angle was
used to gouge into a lat section of board.

... not to discourage you, but from what i have read the way shlieds would have been
made is to form them from billet.  This is a good reason why period bosses have
shoulders and relatively flat surfaces (rather than domes).  It's important to remember
this if talking to MoTP and the reason why i decided against dishing shield bosses on site
as a learning experience next season (cos i seriously doubt thats the way that they
were done).  but dished bosses would be far better than a spun/pressed one.

> The boss is abount 6 inch diamiter since a hand wont be in it.

6" should be plenty big enough (i think thats bigger than they typically were.

Any reason why it wont have ahand in it, is it for demo use only??

Hugz
N.

When words aren't enough - Vodafone live! A new world of colour, sounds, picture messages and information on your mobile. <a href="http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4909903;7724245;q?http://www.vodafone.co.uk/live">
Click here</a> to find out more.

--=_NextPart_Lycos_0012281040131222_ID--