[Regia-NA] October work weekend at Wychurst

Kim Siddorn kim.siddorn at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Oct 13 02:12:18 PDT 2008

There were not that many of us this weekend (15-18), but as is often the
case, much was done.

I'd like to mention in particular that Liz Tice appeared early on Saturday,
spent the day shopping, preparing & cooking an excellent dinner for us all -
then vanished homewards on a previous engagement without eating any! It was
excellent - thanks Liz.

Roger and his team - Andy, Paul, Mike, Dave & John the Bee - got on with the
right hand postern gatehouse platform & much was achieved. Ground was
excavated from the fighting platform, a new bracing post added to the
palisade structure & floor braces were fitted. Palisade cross timbers which
were too high were made lower and a lot of earth was shifted by Paul & Finn
to infill the floor. Inexplicably, Roger didn't appear on Sunday & it turns
out he was fogged in so not lying somewhere in a ditch as had been put
forward! ;o))

I've finally tracked down chain link fencing locally to the site at a
reasonable price and seven 25 metre rolls will be delivered in November.
Kevin & Paul measured the fence line & discovered several trees that need to
be removed in order for us to fulfil our part of the fencing agreement.

I completed the work on the new yard for the Scottish ship, found enough
rope for tacks & sheets & Paul melted all the unsightly strands left hanging
off the sail by the film company. We also removed the two most for'rad oar
benches to make more standing room for the sea battle in Gloucester & Kevin
finished off the new tiller posts & arms. Both ships are now ready for
transport.

Alan Staves plastered quietly on both days and Steph on Saturday. Alan Tidy
and Ian Lewis got on with the two large shutters for the south end of the
hall. I took pics & they'll be up later. Very nice pieces of work & all we
need now is pintles to complete them for hanging.

The fire pond's first casualty came to the surface on his own, was retrieved
& committed to the ground in a short ceremony. Kevin also removed a good
deal of needle drop from the second shelf level & agreed that the closest
conifers need to come down.

We'd had two days of warm sunshine & light breezes and it was hard to leave
as the sun westered. We were all aware that this was the last pleasant day
at Wychurst this year - when  we are there next in November, the days will
inevitably be shorter, the trees more leafless and the weather cooler. I
should have stayed longer: the traffic was worse than any time I can
remember & I've probably made the trip over 100 times now. Took me five
hours to get home rather than the usual three!

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,
Regia Anglorum

This e-mail and attachments are intended for the named addressee only and
the information in this message and/or attachments may contain protected
health, legally privileged, or otherwise confidential information. If you,
the reader of this message, are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that you may not further disseminate, distribute, disclose, copy or
forward this message or any of the content herein. If you have received this
E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the
original.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and
may or may not indicate the established policy of Regia Anglorum. It is the
society's principal to rely solely upon hard copy communications in dealing
with contractual matters.

This computer is protected with daily updated anti-viral software, but it is
the responsibility of the recipient to ensure their incoming mail is
virus-free.