[Regia-NA] Viking living history groups in Iceland

William R. Short wrs3 at hurstwic.org
Tue Oct 7 05:00:25 PDT 2008

I've just returned from Iceland, where I was promoting my new book. I met
with members of both of the Viking living history groups there who are
doing combat.  They're doing some interesting work.  Einherjar, based in
Reykjavík, plans to meet with the king of Norway to ask for a pardon for
Grettir Ásmundarson for his crimes in Norway 1000 years ago.
http://www.einherjar.is/

Neither of the groups were very familiar with historical martial arts like
we practice at Hurstwic, so there was some insightful discussion and
demonstrations.

There's also some pre-production planning for at least two Viking-age
feature films to be shot in Iceland, one of which was just announced:
http://icelandreview.com/icelandreview/daily_news/?cat_id=16567&ew_0_a_id=313169

(Shameless book plug here.)  While in Iceland, I did several lectures for
my book, _Viking Weapons and Combat Techniques_, and several press
interviews.  The book is available for preorder from your favorite
bookseller, and should be released in November.  More information about the
book and its contents is here:
http://www.williamrshort.com/vik_wpn/

Best regards,
Bill