[Regia-NA] FW: OT. Please vote for Viking Unst

Nicholson, Andrew Andrew.Nicholson at dumgal.gov.uk
Mon Jun 16 04:23:36 PDT 2008

On Behalf Of Val Turner
Sent: 16 June 2008 12:21
Subject: Please vote for Viking Unst

Dear All

Apologies for cross posting - and I hope I am not treading on anyone
else's tpes by sending this - if I am - sorry!!

The Viking Unst project has reached the shortlist of the HLF "Best in
Heritage" awards, which we are very proud of.

The project does what is says on the tin - ie: is the investigation of
Viking settlement in the most northerly island in Britain - Unst.  Unst
has the remains of 30 longhouses which is amazing for such a small
place.  The local community are deeply involved, both assisting in the
excavation and in the interpretation which includes living history on
board a replica of the Gokstad ship, which we managed to acquire after
it was taken into receivership in Lerwick in 2000.

In addition, the island has lost about 1/3 of its jobs with the closure
of the RAF base and the airstrip which had previously served the oil
industry.  We are helping to restore confidence as well as to creating
jobs both directly and indirectly in tourism.

All you have to do is go to the website

www.lotterygoodcauses.org.uk/awards

 and follow the link.  Takes about 30 secs!!

And if you would be prepared to spread the word on our behalf that would
be wonderful

Many thanks in anticipation.

Val

Val Turner
Shetland Archaeologist
Shetland Amenity Trust, Garthspool,
Lerwick, Shetland, ZE1 0NY
Tel: (01595) 694688

The Shetland Amenity Trust is a registered
Scottish charity, No: SC017505

--
Any email message sent or received by the
Council may require to be disclosed by the