[Regia-NA] Norman Members Handbook

Russ Holmes haldans at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 21 10:48:19 EDT 2007

Greetings all!

I am looking to clarify something:

In the second paragraph on page 22 of the Norman Member's Handbook,
there is a statement that reads "it became fashionable to slash the
chainse from armpit to waist: these openings were laced permitting a
little of the bare flesh to show."

I am confused.  Unless there's something in 12th c. costume that I'm
really unfamiliar with, this slit would show the chemise, not skin. Or
is the chainse the actual undergarment?

Any help would be appreciated!

Russ Holmes
Danelaw

"The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the
soldier accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he is a member. The civilian does not."
- Robert Heinlein

I childproofed my home, but they STILL get in!

http://www.livejournal.com/users/hersir/