[Regia-NA] Re:bellows stone

jim green aethelwulf2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 26 15:54:10 EDT 2006

Beware the commonly seen picture of a bellows stone. A friend found an old book with the UNcropped photo at a differing angle of view. The stone is higher than the normally copied picture shows. It also appears to be round to the rear , think 1/4 sphere. I made mine to match what I could tell from the cropped photo and 1 1/2" thick. I have trouble with it standing if the fire is not carefully raked and my fire is not as deep as I wanted. If I find a bigger piece of soapstone I'll replace it. I will also make the hole in it taper out towards the back , then my bellows alignment won't be as critical. A single bellows does work but 2 are better. At a show it helps to have someone els there.. They can work the bellows while you smith and the two of you can spell each other for breaks. Having had people insist that the forge wasn't a real fire , then try to reach it , I am a huge fan of having someone by the forge constantly.       Jim

" A man can never have too much red wine , too many books , or too much ammunition" Rudyard Kipling