[Regia-NA] Re--smithing

jim green aethelwulf2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 25 18:40:59 EDT 2006

Hi Joel , I have been experimenting with trying forging circa 1000AD for several years now. First the basics from the limited information I have seen. The forge is side draft , bottom draft forges are I believe  Industrial Revolution onwards. Air is by single chambered bellows and I strongly recommend 2. That way once a rhythm is established 1 bellows pumps air to the forge while the other fills. This both provides a steadier air flow making higher temperatures less work AND prevents scarfing hot gasses from the forge into your bellows. Unpleasant event. Fuel is hardwood charcoal , I use Cowboy brand from Loews or Royal Oak when I can get it. The anvil we all recognize is the London pattern and well after Regia.For the anvil and tool look to the Mastermyr Tool Chest. There is an excellent book on the find but I don't have it in front of me for the ISBN#, There are also websites covering it. A bellows stone is desirable to both protect the bellows and aid in building a deep
 fire for better forging. Soap stone is ideal but clay would work as well , just not as durable. In a setting like a tented event I would say the forge would be a hole dug in the ground. Most places I have gone frown on that. One venue allowed an in ground forge, 3 years later I can still fing the exact forge placement , nothing grows , I fused the dirt. I have been using a forge made of fireclay with thin firebrick built into the base. About 20 inchs by 15 inchs in size.I burn the grass but so far not lasting damage. With this setup the bellows 'thrall' sits on the ground while the smith sits on a seat with the anvil at a comfortable height. The problem so far is that the forge hasn't outlasted a season yet. Hope this helps, feel free to ask more questions.  Jim GL GS

" A man can never have too much red wine , too many books , or too much ammunition" Rudyard Kipling